Financial Resources

Government subsidized healthcare may not be able to cover all expenses that families accumulate when they are taking care of a child with complex healthcare needs.  There are ways to appeal for more funds and outside funding resources that are available.

Health Savings Account (HSA)

A type of savings account that lets you set aside money on a pre-tax basis to pay for qualified medical expenses. By using untaxed dollars in a Health Savings Account (HSA) to pay for deductibles, copayments, coinsurance, and some other expenses, you may be able to lower your overall health care costs. HSA funds generally may not be used to pay premiums. For 2020, if you have an HDHP, you can contribute up to $3,550 for self-only coverage and up to $7,100 for family coverage into an HSA. HSA funds roll over year to year if you don’t spend them. An HSA may earn interest or other earnings, which are not taxable. Health Savings Account at HealthCare.Gov

Shriners Hospitals

Provides specialized care for children with various special health care needs, regardless of the families’ ability to pay. You may ask for assistance with your bill at any time during your hospital stay or, throughout the billing process.  For more information, contact your nearest Shriners’ Hospital.

Shriners Hospitals for Children — Spokane

Shriners Hospitals for Children — Portland

Ben’s Fund

The Ben’s Fund Mission is to provide support to children and young adults with autism through financial assistance and guidance. Ben’s Fund Autism Grant Application

Telecommunication Equipment Distribution (TED) Program

The Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (ODHH) operates a Telecommunication Equipment Distribution (TED) program. The TED Program supplies specialized telecommunication equipment to people who have a hearing loss or speech disability so that they can use the telephone independently. Washington State residents ages 4 and up who are deaf, hard of hearing, late-deafened, deaf-blind or speech disabled are eligible to apply to receive free or low-cost telecommunication equipment.
Application for Telecommunication Equipment
Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Reduced Cost Services Guide

A booklet of products and services available in or near Washington state that are offered at reduced cost for people meeting certain income levels.

DSHS Reduced Cost Services Guide

Universal Service Programs

Houses Lifeline, a federal program that lowers the monthly cost of phone or internet service for low-income houses or people on tribal lands.

Get Connected to Phone or Internet Service

FEMA Assistance for Accessibility Items

FEMA can help in replacing adaptive or accessibility items damaged during a disaster.

Expanded Federal Disaster Assistance


Financial planning information from the Pacer Center, focusing on how to change a budget and review the options when a child is diagnosed with a disability.

A Financial Resource for Parents of Children with Disabilities.

Denial of coverage Resources

The Office of the Developmental Disabilities Ombuds (DD Ombuds) is a private, independent office focused on improving the lives of persons with developmental disabilities in Washington State.

Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner has resources if insurance is denied, if you wish to make a complaint, or have an insurance problem.

Washington State Office of Labor and Industries has information on worker’s compensation, sick leave, and worker’s rights.